Wednesday 26 August 2009

THE TALENT CODE

I have just started to read a truly fascinating book about developing talent by author and journalist Daniel Coyle.

The strapline reads " TALENT , YOU'VE EITHER GOT IT OR YOU HAVEN'T..........NOT TRUE ACTUALLY"

In THE TALENT CODE award winning journalist Daniel Coyle draws on cutting edge research to reveal that , far from being some abstract mythical power fixed at birth , ability really can be created and nurtured.

In the process, he considers that talent at work in venues as diverse as a music school in Dallas and a tennis academy near Moscow,to demonstrate how the wiring of our brains can be transformed by the way we approach particular tasks. He explains what is really going on when apparently unremarkable people suddenly make a major leap forward.He reveals why some teaching methods are so much more effective than others. above all, he shows how all of us can achieve our full potential if we set about training our brains the right way.

it starts with a quote: " Then ( David) took his staff in hand,chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his Shepperd's bag and, with his sling in hand ,approached Goliath"

I think this is describing a multi-disciplined approach to achieving David's great feat mentioned in the bible, and is certainly how I see my approach to nurturing talented golfers who come to me.

I am really enjoying my quest to become a better coach and mentor, resources such as these books really open my eyes,and will help to unlock that talent code myself.

until next time Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment